A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
At Banner Desert Medical Center you will work in fast paced but organized, with up to date technologically, and advanced work environment. Our facility is known for having a nurturing environment for learning under the supervision of pharmacists and collaborating with other pharmacy technicians and other interns. In addition we offer a rewarding experience with interns playing an integral role in helping the pharmacy staff deliver quality patient care.
At BDMC you will have the opportunity to be exposed to a wide variety of both operational and clinical activities. The work environment in which pharmacists and fellow interns are actively engaged with the advancement and training of pharmacy interns in preparation for pursuing a PGY1 residency or inpatient position after graduation. You will have a feeling of accomplishment and responsibility given the activities that BDMC Pharmacy interns are involved in on a daily basis. You will be required to work every other weekend (Saturday and Sunday) with 8 hour shifts that will fluctuate between typically 6am-2:30 pm and 2:30pm-10:00pm. We will be looking for students graduating from pharmacy school in 2023.
Located on an 80-acre campus in Mesa, Arizona, Banner Desert Medical Center is one of Arizona's largest and most comprehensive hospitals and is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals. We provide an abundance of exceptional opportunities with more than 600 licensed beds, including over 100 dedicated to children. Areas of excellence include high-risk pregnancy and neonatal care, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, cardiology, oncology and emergency medicine. With 21 operating rooms, we offer a full range of surgical specialties and advanced technology that includes the daVincir Surgical System. About Banner Cardon Children's Medical Center If you desire to provide the best care possible to the most vulnerable patients, come to Cardon Children's Medical Center in Mesa, Ariz. Within our 248-bed, state-of-the-art facility, specially trained nurses, physicians and other clinical professionals utilize the most advanced technology - including iCare ICU monitoring and robotic surgery - to provide high quality, child-friendly, family-centered care. Our facilities feature a recently expanded 104-bed NICU, a 24-bed PICU, six pediatric ORs and a 26-bed ED. We also offer dedicated pediatric rehab, radiology, oncology and hematology capabilities. With clinical diversity, exceptional training programs and a supportive culture, this is a place where you can grow in your career as you help our very special patients.
POSITION SUMMARY This position will work under the supervision of the pharmacist. Performs routine duties in packaging, distribution and record keeping of pharmaceutical supplies. Assists in preparing compounded and intravenous medications, total parenteral nutrition products, and chemotherapeutic agents. Consistently demonstrates an ability to assess a situation, consider alternatives, and choose the appropriate course of action. May work with the Pharmacist in processing physician orders for medications by entering information in to the medication management system in an unverified status. Under the supervision of the pharmacist, assesses and formulates potential recommendations to physicians and provides information to physicians, nurses, and others regarding topics relating to the medication use system. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients being served.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Selects and/or prepares medications, under direct supervision, as indicated on the patient medication orders. Places medications in patient boxes or in designated area for pharmacist to review, sends/delivers medications to nursing units as required. Investigates missing medication requests Charges/credits patients for medications and intravenous solutions as appropriate. Restocks unused and credited returned medications.
2. Attends to customers and answers telephones in a courteous and timely manner. Serves as a liaison between the customer and the pharmacist.
3. Using automated dispensing technology or requisition, restocks medications to nursing and ancillary areas after checked by a pharmacist. Restocks medications to all areas outside automated dispensing technology which may include but not be limited to trays, code carts and emergency boxes. Adds users to the automatic dispensing technology database as per policy. Investigates discrepancies in automated dispensing technology. Troubleshoots automated technology malfunctions.
4. Identifies medications and other items for reorder as necessary to maintain a continuous inventory of medications and supplies. Receives, checks-in, and restocks medications ordered through wholesaler and other vendors.
5. Compounds specialty drug products. Repackages bulk medications into unit of use packaging. Completes accurate documentation of items compounded and repackaged.
6. Assists in preparing and labeling of intravenous medication orders including total parenteral nutrition products and chemotherapy products using proper sterile and aseptic technique.
7. Under the supervision of a pharmacist, utilizes education and pharmacy skills in assessing and formulating potential recommendations to physicians to help ensure quality and economical drug therapy, and positive patient outcomes. May provide information (under pharmacist supervision) to physicians, nurses, and others regarding medication therapy, medication systems, drug product guidelines, laws and regulations, medication formulary, and other topics related to the medication use system. Medication assessments may be performed with special consideration given to medication safety and the needs of the specific patient age groups served.
Must be attending an accredited school of Pharmacy.
Requires current and unrestricted pharmacy intern licensure in the state of practice.
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must have good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of Staff, physicians, patients and other contacts. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital or the Whole Health Clinic must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and Automated dispensing systems.
Pharmacy technician experience preferred. Additional training in specialty areas (such as automatic dispensing technology, controlled substances and satellite pharmacy) preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.